Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Birthday Weekend

This past weekend was a very special weekend, firstly it was my birthday on Saturday. My 28th one on this planet saw nothing special happen, nothing special planned. No big night out and this will all become clear why later on in the post. Instead it started with a lie in before waking up. As I woke to the sound of the children playing they wished me a Happy birthday and each gave me a kiss along with the girls' mum, which was a nice way to start the day. Ginger was cooking my my favourite way to start the day, a bacon and egg sandwich with ketchup and a cup of tea, in the meantime the girls wanted to give me my birthday present, they sat patiently with my present....
before letting me unwrap it, I think they are trying to tell me something....
After opening the girls present I then opened my cards. My nephew who is now 4 wrote me a card which featured some very lovely artwork of me, and his two cousins. It also featured a flying fish! Maybe he's trying to tell me to take up fishing. Mean while Ginger gave me my presents, but she couldn't resist abusing me in the process....

After opening cards and presents there was of course cake, featuring all 28 candles, one for each year. Im surprised the fire alarms didn't go off, maybe that's a sign I should be checking them more often! I knew I had a cake as eldest daughter couldn't resist telling me the other day, but I managed to stop her telling me anymore details as I was pretty sure she was divulging information I was not meant to hear...

The rest of day was spent with the girls, we popped into town and ate at a local restaurant and walked around the bustling streets full of Christmas shoppers, before heading home to relax and have some cake and ice cream. The girls then were bathed and put to bed because the next day would be more important and even more hectic.

The next day saw youngest daughter (Violets) birthday. It was extra special as this was her first birthday. Yes Violet was born just a few hours outside of her daddy's birthday, now meaning that I can't drink and celebrate my own birthday too drunkenly or fear having a horrendous hangover on her birthday, something I don;t want to ruin. However it does make the two days a little extra special knowing we have a special link in some way. To mark Violets first birthday we hosted a small party with friends and family at our house. Ginger had got her crafty fingers out and had been busy making bunting, whilst the previous night was spent blowing up balloons and decorating the house. Violet eventually woke up bright eyed and early as did her older sister. Straight away we all wished her a happy birthday before bringing the girls downstairs for some breakfast. We had her presents ready for her in the next room and so Rose, Violets big sister went to to grab hers to give to her, very excited at the prospect of her little sister opening her present...

Violet after a little of tempting finally started opening her present....


After she had opened her big sisters present we then got our present we bought her. We had bought her a toddle truck for her to use, to get use to walking but also play with and enjoy as she had been enjoying playing with a similar one at a local playgroup. As soon as she saw it she was up on her feet and busy crashing into anything and everything that got in the way...

Once all the excitement of the presents opened was done and dusted it was then time to turn attention to the party. At around 11:30am people started arriving. I picked my mam up from York as she had been staying there the night before with friends, after this Gingers Mum and step dad arrived shortly followed by Gingers Dad and Grandpa. Then my little sister and husband joined us and nit forgetting My nephew CJ. My relatives brought with them a sackful of presents as we are quite big into birthdays and the birthday person being spoilt. There were even some presents for me for my birthday which was very nice. Violet had plenty of toys to now choose from and in particular enjoyed and still enjoys her Mickey Mouse dancing toy that sings the HotDog song, (if you don;t know what I;m talking about you tube it, it's quite a nice little song) Violet even took her first steps without holding onto anything as well, successfully stringing 2 steps together to reach Nana, making today even more special.

Once all the presents were unwrapped it was time to eat. A small party spread was laid on featuring sandwich's, cheese, bread sticks, quiche was there to enjoy which many people did, but most importantly there was more birthday cake. Ginger had made and stressed over daughters rainbow cake, but thankfully the mountainous cake was baked safely and most important deliciously. To top it a candle with 1 was placed and lit and everyone sang happy birthday to Violet, at which point she beamed a huge smile at everyone singing harmoniously to her. Her sister and cousins duly helped blow out the candles before the cake was sliced and made available for everyone to eat with jelly and ice cream....

Now the food was served and presents opened, over time people trickled off and made their way home. More people joined the party and occupied the girls. Tears were shed as the girls got tired and spoilt with attention from various other people. Needless to say everyone was tired and eventually as everyone left it was time for the girls to go to bed shortly followed by Mummy and Daddy. It's been a great weekend, it's been a lovely family themed weekend. But most importantly theres plenty of cake left over, yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment